Welcome to the Arizona Caregiver Coalition web site! Are you caring for a loved one who is either aging, a child or an adult dealing with a chronic condition, or living with a disability? The Arizona Caregiver Coalition was created to support you and your family (that includes everyone) and this site was made just for you and so many others like you. You are not alone. We offer support and help finding access to information, assistance, answers, new ideas and helpful options for you and your loved one. Here are a couple of helpful links to get you started:
Advocacy for Arizona family caregivers! Introduction of the proposed bill HB 2170 at the 42nd Arizona State Legislature.
HB 2170 – Lifespan Respite Care Program: appropriations
Here is a link to the introduced version of House Bill 2170: Lifespan Respite Care Program
The bill appropriations $500,000 from the state general fund to the Department of Economic Security in FY2016 for the Lifespan Respite Care program. The legislation also removes the Lifespan Respite Care program termination (July 1, 2017).
Sponsor(s): Representative Brophy McGee
Call to Action – Advocacy Blog Click here
Making sense out of the Lifespan Respite Care Program
Your loved one’s care does not always take place in hospitals, or nursing homes, or doctor offices, or medical clinics. Most care actually occurs in the home – and that’s a good thing. People are healthier at home and health care costs are reduced. Family caregivers have the best interests of their loved ones at heart. But caregiving at home can take its toll and it certainly takes a lot of planning. The Nation’s 90 million family caregivers are front and center in providing care every day – enabling their loved ones to stay at home longer where they are happier and healthier.
Why the program exists
Each year approximately 850,000 Arizona family caregivers provide uncompensated care that would cost $9 billion if it had to be purchased. Much of this staggering cost would have to be picked up by taxpayers if families were not providing the care for free.
- Caregivers provide about 80 percent of all long-term care, allowing their loved ones to live independently in their homes.
- Caregivers tell researchers what they need most is an afternoon or a weekend off from their job as a caregiver.
- Family caregivers are at greater risk for disease and increased chances of depression because of their full-time, physically and emotionally demanding role as a caregiver.
- Respite has been shown to improve the health of caregivers, and as a result help keep the elderly and individuals living with disabilities from being institutionalized.
What you have to gain if this proposed bill is passed:
Continuous access to the statewide Caregivers Resource Line (CRL) 1-888-737-7494 allowing Caregivers statewide in Arizona the ability to talk to a trained volunteer who understands the stress and pressure of providing care, and get the moral support that is frequently needed when providing care for another.
- Continue to be the catalyst for Arizona caregivers and those the provide long term care support to.
- Increase services and access to respite care statewide. Respite is defined as a coordinated system of accessible, community based short-term periods of rest for family caregivers.
- Continue to operate the Arizona Caregiver Resource Line (CLR), which provides a statewide access point that allows trained volunteers to work with family caregivers that need help navigating the state system.
- Get access to Respite Vouchers and access to respite supportive services throughout Arizona. Provide and distribute respite vouchers to qualified family caregivers in the state of Arizona for those falling through the cracks.
- Maintain and coordinate additional supports on the Arizona Respite Locator that allows the consumer to connect with workers to independently contract respite workers in their area to work for a negotiated wage determined by the family caregiver and the worker. Increase the work force of respite and direct care workers for individuals and family caregivers.
- Obtain access to the Arizona Respite Locator, a service that helps families and individuals locate appropriate statewide respite providers, direct care workers or care provider agencies. Many caregivers, family of elders and people with disabilities, people of all ages need assistance with their personal care needs and other daily activities. Our volunteers can locate workers or agencies by calling the statewide Caregiver Resource Line at toll-free or receive a FREE access code. To learn more, visit ArizonaRespiteLocator.org
Recent Blog Posts – View All